Murano Glass Sculpture
Murano glass sculpture 25 inches tall
Murano becomes the center of glass in 1291 when all glass makers are ordered to move their foundries to the island of Murano near Venice. Before 1291, most Italian glass foundries were located within the borders of Venice. This proved to be too much of a risk for the fire prone Venetian Republic which at that time consisted mainly of wooden buildings and structures. So in 1291 the Venetian Senate decreed that, because of the risk of fire from the increasing number of furnaces operating, the industry be removed from Venice to the Island of Murano. Murano’s glass makers were soon the island’s most prominent citizens.
Some of the most famous names of 20th century glass design include Tina Aufiero, Alfredo Barbini, Ercole Barovier, Gae Aulenti, Gino Cenedese, Angelo Vittorio Mazzega, Alessandro Mendini, Carlo Nason, Flavio Poli, Gio Ponti, Giovanni and Livio Seguso, Carlo Scarpa Angelo Seguso, Ettore Sottsass, Paolo Venini, Vittorio Zecchin, Napoleone Martinuzzi, etc. Numerous museum collections in every part of the world, now display examples of fabulous Murano glass including Murano vases, Murano chandeliers and Murano glass sculptures. Source: Stardust.com